Welcome to the School of Public Health
Public health seeks to improve human health through the development and application of knowledge that prevents disease, protects the public from harm, and promotes health throughout the state, the nation, and the world.
Under the public health major, undergraduates will develop and apply knowledge from multiple disciplines for the promotion and protection of the health of the human population, giving due consideration to principles of human rights and cultural perspectives that abound in our multicultural country and world.
The bachelor of arts degree in public health is primarily intended to prepare students for graduate study in public health. Those who choose to work after obtaining their BA are usually employed by government, private, and nonprofit organizations in careers such as survey workers, educators, or research project associates.
About a Capped Major
Public Health is a capped major and unfortunately, every semester we have to turn away great candidates due to limited capacity. This is why we encourage all students to actively work toward an alternative major.
Advising and Support
All students interested in the undergraduate major—or the field of public health in general—are encouraged to consult with an academic advisor.
Undergraduate Public Health Major Program Director
Sign up for an undergraduate advising appointment.
Public Health Peer Advisors
Find drop-in hours
What Have Students Done with a Public Health Degree?
Depending on emphasis, the Bachelor of Arts degree in public health prepares students for graduate study in a variety of fields including public health, public policy, and nutrition. Students who choose to work after obtaining their BA are employed by government, private, and nonprofit organizations as survey workers, educators, and research project associates.
If you’re an undergraduate student majoring in public health, or even just interested in health, consider joining the Cal Undergraduate Public Health Coalition. It’s a great way to network with other students who share your interests and participate in volunteer opportunities.
- Undergraduate Public Health Student Handbook
- American Public Health Association
- Cal Undergraduate Public Health Coalition student group
- Cal-ADAR: Advancing Diversity in Aging Research at UC Berkeley
- Career Center
- Career Counseling Library
- Center for Public Health Practice & Leadership
- College of Letters & Science
- Education Abroad Program
- Internships in Health and Medicine
- Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship
- The Public Health Advocate
- Undergraduate Research Apprenticeship Program
- Undergraduate Student Learning Initiative (USLI) document for Public Health Undergraduate Major
- The UC Berkeley Washington Program
- What is Public Health? (provided by the Public Health Library)
Contact Us With Questions
Our staff and faculty are available to answer any questions you may have throughout your undergraduate experience. You may find answers to some of your questions in our Frequently Asked Questions section. For even more information, please email email@example.com.