Stephen M. Shortell PhD, MPH, MBA
- Strategic Management of Health Services
- Organization Behavior in Health
- Organizational Correlates of Quality and Outcomes of Care
- Evaluation of total quality management and community-based health improvement initiatives
- Strategic change in the health care sector-e.g. evolution of integrated delivery systems
- Strategic alliances between physicians and other health care entities
Dr. Shortell has also served as Principal Investigator on NSPO1 and NSPO2. His particular expertise is in conceptualizing, measuring, and analyzing organizational factors that are associated with physician organization performance. His papers have appeared in a wide variety of organizational research and health services/health policy research journals and he is the author or co-author of ten books. Dr. Shortell is an elected member of the Institute of Medicine and past editor of Health Services Research. He has been the recipient of the distinguished Baxter Allegiance Prize for his contributions to health services research, the Distinguished Investigator Award from Academy Health, and many other awards.
Sara Singer, PhD, MBA; Stephen M. Shortell, PhD, MPH, MBA. "Implementing Accountable Care Organizations - Ten Potential Mistakes and How to Learn From Them" JAMA. Published online August 9, 2011 doi: 10.1001/jama.2011.1180
*E.S. Fisher and S.M. Shortell. "Accountable Care Organizations: Accountable for What, to Whom, and How," JAMA, October 20, 2010, (304) 15: 1715-6.
S.M. Shortell, R.R. Gillies, and F. Wu. "United States Innovations in Health Care Delivery," Public Health Reviews, August, 2010.
S.M. Shortell, L.P. Casalino and E.S. Fisher. "How the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation Should Test Accountable Care Organizations," Health Affairs (Millwood), July 2010, 29(7): 1293-8.
D.R. Rittenhouse, S.M. Shortell, R.R. Gillies, L.P. Casalino, J.C. Robinson, R.K. McCurdy, and J. Siddique. "Improving Chronic Illness Care: Findings from a National Study of Care Management Processes in Large Physician Practices,"Medical Care Research and Review, June 2010, 67(3):301-320.
- Service as Elected Member, Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences
- Member, Advisory Board, Kaiser-Permanente, Institute for Health Policy
Profile Updated: August 14, 2013