- PhD - Epidemiology, University of California, Berkeley
- MPH - Environmental Health Sciences, University of California, Berkeley
- MSc - Toxicology, University of Surrey, England
- BSc(Hons) - Chemistry, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- PH250A: Epidemiologic Methods I (Summer)
- PHW250: Epidemiologic Methods I (Online, Fall)
- PH200C2: Environmental Health Sciences Breadth Course (Fall)
- Environmental and occupational epidemiology
- Health risks of long-term, low-level exposure to hydrogen sulfide
- Health effects of exposure to household air pollution in developing countries
- Neurologic and reproductive risks of solvent exposures
- Cancer risks in firefighters
- Safety of dental amalgams
- Health effects of arsenic in drinking water
Bates MN, Garrett N, Crane J; Balmes J. Associations of Ambient Hydrogen Sulfide Exposure with Self-Reported Asthma and Asthma Symptoms. Environ Research. 2013;122:81-87.
Bates MN, Chandyo RK, Valentiner-Branth P, Pokhrel AK, Mathisen M, Basnet S, Shrestha PS, Strand TA, Smith KR. Childhood acute lower respiratory infection and household fuel use in Bhaktapur, Nepal. Environ Health Persp. 2013;121(5):637-42.
Pokhrel AK, Bates MN, Shrestha SP, Bailey IL, Dimartino RB, Smith KR. Biomass Stoves and Lens Opacity and Cataract in Nepalese Women. Optom Vis Sci. 2013; 90:257-68.
Epstein MB, Bates MN, Arora NK, Balakrishnan K, Jack DW, Smith KR. Household fuels, low birth weight, and neonatal death in India: The separate impacts of biomass, kerosene, and coal. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health. 2013; 216:523-32.
Lam N, Smith KR, Gauthier A, Bates MN. Kerosene: a review of household uses and their hazards in low- and middle-income countries. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part B. 2012 15:396–432.
Carlton EJ, Bates MN, Zhong B, Seto EYW, Spear RC. Evaluation of Mammalian and Intermediate Host Surveillance Methods for Detecting Schistosomiasis Reemergence in Southwest China. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 2011; 5(3):e987.
Bates MN. Dental amalgam fillings: a source of mercury exposure. In: Nriagu JO (ed.) Encyclopedia of Environmental Health, volume 2, 2011; pp. 11–20 Burlington: Elsevier.
Pokhrel AK, Bates MN, Verma SC, Joshi HS, Sreeramareddy CT, Smith KR. Tuberculosis and Indoor Biomass and Kerosene Use in Nepal: A Case-control Study. Environ Health Persp 2010; 118:558-564.
Bates M.N., Khalakdina A., Pai M., Chang L., Lessa F., Smith K.R. (2007). The risk of tuberculosis from exposure to tobacco smoke: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med; 167:335-342.
Bates MN. Registry-based case-control study of cancer In California firefighters. Am J Indust Med 2007; 50:339-344.
Pokhrel A.K., Smith K.R., Khalakdina A., Deuja A., Bates M.N. (2005). Case-control study of indoor cooking smoke exposure and cataract in Nepal and India. Int J Epidemiol; 34: 702-708.
Fink C., Bates M.N. (2005). Melanoma and Ionizing Radiation: Is There a Causal Relationship? Radiation Research; 164:701-710.
Bates M.N., Fawcett J., Garrett N., Cutress T., Kjellstrom T. (2004). Health effects of dental amalgam exposure: a retrospective cohort study. Int J Epidemiol, 33: 894-901.
Bates M.N., Rey O.A., Biggs M.L., Hopenhayn C., Moore L.E., Kalman D., Steinmaus C., Smith A.H. (2004). Case-control study of bladder cancer and exposure to arsenic in Argentina. Amer J Epidemiol; 159:381-9.
Bates M.N., Buckland S.J., Garrett N., Ellis H., Needham L.L., Patterson Jr. D.G., Turner W.E., Russell D.G. (2004). Persistent organochlorines in the serum of the non-occupationally exposed New Zealand population. Chemosphere; 54:1431-1443.