- Post-doctoral training - Toxicology, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden, 1981
- PhD - Biochemistry, Medical College of St. Bartholomew's Hospital Charterhouse Square, London, UK, 1980
- BSc - Biology, Queen Elizabeth College, University of London, UK, 1977
- NST11 - Introduction to Toxicology
- PH170B - Toxicology
- PH270B - Advanced Toxicology
- Biomarkers of Carcinogenesis
- Diet as a Risk Factor for Cancer
- Biomarkers of Benzene Exposure and Genotoxicity
- Childhood Leukemia and Environmental Exposures
- Molecular Epidemiology of non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Studies of Environmental Mutagens and Carcinogens
Dr. Smith has expertise and a broad background in molecular epidemiology, toxicology and genomics, aimed at finding the causes of chronic disease including lymphoma and leukemia. His interest in the subject of benzene toxicity began in the mid-1980’s and he has published extensively on this topic, most recently as a review for the 2010 Annual Reviews of Public Health.
Dr. Smith has led the Superfund Research Program at Berkeley since its inception in 1987. This program has been peer reviewed and renewed 5 times. The overall goal of the Program is to improve understanding of the relationship between exposure and disease; provide better human health risk assessments; and, develop a range of prevention and remediation strategies to improve and protect public health and the environment. In addition, he is a collaborator on numerous other projects examining emerging technologies to develop biomarkers for human studies, improve chemical detection, and facilitate waste remediation.
Dr. Smith is working with collaborators internationally to explore study of the emerging field of exposomics.
Carlos-Wallace FM, Zhang L, Smith MT, Rader G, Steinmaus C (2016) Parental, In Utero, and Early-Life Exposure to Benzene and the Risk of Childhood Leukemia: A Meta-Analysis. Am J Epidemiol. Jan 1;183(1):1-14. PMID: 26589707.
Smith MT, de la Rosa R, Daniels SI (2015) Using exposomics to assess cumulative risks and promote health. Environ Mol Mutagen. Dec;56(9):715-23. PMCID: PMC4636923.
Smith MT, Guyton KZ, Gibbons CF, Fritz JM, Portier CJ, Rusyn I, DeMarini DM, Caldwell JC, Kavlock RJ, Lambert P, Hecht SS, Bucher JR, Stewart BW, Baan R, Cogliano VJ, Straif K (2015) Key Characteristics of Carcinogens as a Basis for Organizing Data on Mechanisms of Carcinogenesis. Environ Health Perspect. Nov 24. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 26600562.
Sampson JN, Wheeler WA, Yeager M, Panagiotou O, Wang Z, Berndt SI, Lan Q, …,Smith MT, et al. (2015) Analysis of Heritability and Shared Heritability Based on Genome-Wide Association Studies for Thirteen Cancer Types. J Natl Cancer Inst. Oct 12;107(12). pii: djv279. doi: 10.1093/jnci/djv279. Print 2015 Dec. PMID: 26464424.
Steinmaus C, Castriota F, Ferreccio C, Smith AH, Yuan Y, Liaw J, Acevedo J, Pérez L, Meza R, Calcagno S, Uauy R, Smith MT (2015) Obesity and excess weight in early adulthood and high risks of arsenic-related cancer in later life. Environ Res. Oct;142:594-601. PMCID: PMC4664040.
Loomis D, Guyton K, Grosse Y, El Ghissasi F, Bouvard V, Benbrahim-Tallaa L, Guha N, Mattock H, Straif K, …, and Smith MT with the International Agency for Research on Cancer Monograph Working Group, IARC, Lyon, France (2015) Carcinogenicity of lindane, DDT, and 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid. Lancet Oncol. Aug;16(8):891-2. PMID: 26111929.
Ji Z, McHale CM, Bersonda J, Tang J, Smith MT, Zhang L (2015) Induction of centrosome amplification by formaldehyde, but not hydroquinone, in human lymphoblastoid TK6 cells. Environ Mol Mutagen. Jul;56(6):535-44. PMID: 25821186.
Pearce NE, Blair A, Vineis P, Ahrens W, Andersen A, Anto JM, Armstrong BK, Baccarelli AA, Beland FA, …, Smith MT, et al. (2015) IARC Monographs: 40 Years of Evaluating Carcinogenic Hazards to Humans. Environ Health Perspect. Jun;123(6):507-14. PMCID: PMC4455595.
Landrigan PJ, Wright RO, Cordero JF, Eaton DL, Goldstein BD, Hennig B, Maier RM, Ozonoff DM, Smith MT, Tukey RH (2015) The NIEHS Superfund Research Program: Twenty-Five Years of Translational Research for Public Health. Environ Health Perspect. Oct;123(10)909-18. PMCID: PMC4590764.
Shen H, McHale CM, Smith MT, Zhang L (2015) Functional genomic screening approaches in mechanistic toxicology and potential future applications of CRISPR-Cas9. Mutat Res Rev Mutat Res. Apr-Jun;764:31-42. PMCID: PMC4456615.
Seow WJ, Zhang L, Vermeulen R, Tang X, Hu W, Bassig BA, Ji Z, Shiels MS, Kemp TJ, Shen M, Qiu C, Reiss B,Beane Freeman L, Blair A, Kim C, Guo W, Wen C5, Li L, Pinto LA, Huang H, Smith MT, Hildesheim A, Rothman N,Lan Q (2015) Circulating immune/inflammation markers in Chinese workers occupationally exposed to formaldehyde. Carcinogenesis. Aug;36(8)852-7. PMCID: PMC454853.
Wang SS, Vajdic CM, Linet MS, Slager SL, Voutsinas J, Nieters A, de Sanjose S, Cozen W, Alarcón GS, Martinez-Maza O, Brown EE, Bracci PM, Lightfoot T, Turner J, Hjalgrim H, Spinelli JJ, Zheng T, Morton LM, Birmann BM, Flowers CR, Paltiel O, Becker N, Holly EA, Kane E, Weisenburger D, Maynadie M, Cocco P, Foretova L, Staines A, Davis S, Severson R, Cerhan JR, Breen EC, Lan Q, Brooks-Wilson A, De Roos AJ, Smith MT, et al. (2015) Associations of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (NHL) Risk With Autoimmune Conditions According to Putative NHL Loci. Am J Epidemiol. Mar 15;181(6):406-21. PMCID: PMC4402340.
Zhang L, Samad A, Pombo-de-Oliveira MS, Scelo G, Smith MT, Feusner J, Wiemels JL, Metayer C (2015) Global characteristics of childhood acute promyelocytic leukemia. Blood Rev. Mar;29(2):101-25. PMCID: PMC4379131.
Vijai J, Wang Z, Berndt SI, Skibola CF, Slager SL, de Sanjose S, …, Smith MT, et al. (2015) A genome-wide association study of marginal zone lymphoma shows association to the HLA region. Nat Commun. Jan 8;6:5751. PMCID: PMC4287989.
Lan Q, Smith MT, Tang X, Guo W, Vermeulen R, Ji Z, Hu W, Hubbard AE, Shen M, McHale CM, Qiu C, Liu S, Reiss B, Beane-Freeman L, Blair A, Ge Y, Xiong J, Li L, Rappaport SM, Huang H, Rothman N, Zhang L (2015) Chromosome-wide aneuploidy study of cultured circulating myeloid progenitor cells from workers occupationally exposed to formaldehyde. Carcinogenesis. Jan;36(1):160-7. PMCID: PMC4291049.
- Alexander Hollaender Award, Environmental Mutagenesis and Genomics Society, 2014.
- Keynote Address Award in recognition for scientific contributions, Division of Chemical Toxicology, American Chemical Society, 2014.
- Elected Fellow, Collegium Ramazzini, 2012.
- Editorial Board Member - Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention, Reviews in Mutation Research, Cell Biochemistry and Function.
- Member of the Advisory Board for the Paradigm II project funded by the California Breast Cancer Research Program.
- Member of the Advisory Board for the MRC-NIHR National Phenome Centre, University of London, UK, 2012 - present.
- Elected Member - Scientific Advisory Board of the International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France, 2010-14.
- Member - External Advisory Board of the Center for Environmental Health Sciences at Univ. of North Carolina, 2009-Present.
- Member - Advisory Board for the MRC-HPA Centre for Environment & Health at the University of London, UK, 2009-Present.
- Member - Advisory Board to HuGeF, Human Genetics Foundation, Turin, Italy, 2008-Present.
- Member - Advisory Board of the EU "Envirogenomarkers" project led by Prof. Soterios, Athens, Greece, 2008-Present.