- PhD - Psychology, Washington State University 1975-1979
- MS - Psychology, Washington State University 1972-1975
- AB - Psychology/Political Science, UC Berkeley 1967-1971
- Alcohol use and problems
- Tobacco use
- Other drug use
- Adolescents and young adults
My research broadly focuses on social-psychological and environmental factors influencing alcohol, tobacco, drug use, and other risky behaviors among adolescents and young adults. My current research includes longitudinal studies on the relation of community, school, and family policies with drinking and smoking trajectories among youth and a randomized community trial investigating the effects of family, school, and retailer interventions on access to and use of inhalants and other harmful legal products by youth in Alaska.
- Component Co-Director, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism center grant component Local Policies, Enforcement, and Underage Drinking (P60-AA06282). Project period: 2008-2013
- Principal Investigator. National Cancer Institute grant Local tobacco policy and youth smoking. (R01-CA138956). Project period: 2009-2014
- Principal Investigator. National Institute on Drug Abuse grant A Community Trial in Alaska to Prevent Youth's Use of Legal Products to Get High (R01DA015966). Project period: 2010-2013
Lipperman-Kreda, S., Grube, J.W., & Friend, K.B. (2012). Local tobacco policy and tobacco outlet Density: associations with youth smoking. J Adolesc Health. 2012 Jun;50(6):547-52.
Friese, B., Grube, J.W., Seninger, S., Paschall, M.J., & Moore. R.M. Drinking behavior and sources of alcohol: Differences between Native American and White youth. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Other Drugs, 2011, 72, 53-60. PMCID: PMC3001681.
Pechmann, C., Biglan, A., Grube, J.W., & Cody, C. (2011). Transformative consumer research for personal and collective well-being (pp. 353-389) Transformative consumer research for addressing tobacco and alcohol consumption. D. Mick, S. Pettigrew, & C. Pechmann (Eds.) New York: Routledge.
- Member, National Academies of Science/National Research Council/Transportation Research Board Committee on Alcohol, Other Drugs, and Transportation (2003-present)
- Member Public Health Advisory Group, National Alcohol Beverage Control Association (2008-present)
- Membership Chair, Society of Addiction Psychology, Division 50, American Psychological Association, (2008-present)
- Member, SAMSHA/CSAP Underage Alcohol Use Prevention Media Campaign Expert Panel (2010-present)
- Member Advocacy Committee, Society for Prevention Research (2011-present)
- Member Science Advisory Committee, Society of Addiction Psychology, Division 50, American Psychological Association, (2011-present)
- Elected Fellow of the American Psycholgical Association (2009)