- Fellowship - Health Policy, University of California, San Francisco
- PhD - Economics, University of California, Berkeley
- MPH - Health Planning and Policy, University of California, Berkeley
- BA - Economics and Philosophy, University of California, Santa Cruz
- PH 200C1: Health Policy and Management Breadth Course
- PH 222A: Health Care Technology Policy
- PH 226A: Health Economics
- Biotechnology policy and strategy
- Innovation and affordability for medical technology
- Cardiac and orthopedic devices
- Health insurance
- Physician and hospital payment methods
- 2014 – 2016. Principal Investigator. Research project on impact of reference pricing on use and price of laboratory tests and diagnostic imaging. Funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- 2014 – 2018. Co-Principal Investigator. Research project on cost and quality impacts of reference pricing. Funded by the U.S. Agency for Health Care Research and Quality (AHRQ).
- 2008 – present. Director, Berkeley Center for Health Technology. Responsible for overall strategy and direction, setting research agenda and directing major projects, fundraising and sponsor relationships, working with staff to plan and deliver educational programs.
- 2008 – present. Contributing Editor, Health Affairs. Support the editorial staff in planning new thematic issues, reviewing articles, maintaining relationships with sponsor organizations, and writing articles for peer review.
Robinson JC. Purchasing Medical Innovation: The Right Technology, for the Right Patient, at the Right Price. Oakland, CA: University of California Press, 2015.
Robinson JC, Brown TT, Whaley C. Reference-based Benefit Design Changes Consumers’ Choices and Employers’ Payments for Ambulatory Surgery. Health Affairs 2015; 34(3):415-22.
Hernandez J, Machacz SF, Robinson JC. US Hospital Payment Adjustments for Innovative Technology Lag Behind Those In Germany, France, and Japan. Health Affairs 2015; 34(2):261-270.
Robinson JC. Biomedical Innovation in the Era of Health Care Spending Constraints. Health Affairs 2015; 34(2):203-09.
Robinson JC, Miller K. Total Expenditures per Patient in Hospital-Owned and Physician-Owned Medical Groups in California. JAMA 2014; 312(16):1663-1669.
Robinson JC, Howell S. Specialty Pharmaceuticals: Policy Initiatives to Improve Assessment, Pricing, Prescription, and Use. Health Affairs 2014; 33(10):1745-1750.
Robinson JC, Brown TT. Quantifying Opportunities for Hospital Cost Control: Medical Device Purchasing and Patient Discharge Planning. American Journal of Managed Care 2014; 20(9):e418-e424.
Robinson JC. Valeur et Paiement des Medicaments Innovants: Cas de l’Oncologie aux Etats-Unis (Value and Payment for Oncology in the United States). Annales Pharmaceutiques Francaises 2013; 71(5):285-290. www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003450913001016. Reprinted in Contrat de Performance et Acces au Marche de l’Innovation Therapeutique. Edited by F. Megerlin. Issy-les-Moulineaux France: Elsevier Masson. 2014.
Robinson JC, Brown TT. Increases in Consumer Cost Sharing Redirect Patient Volume and Reduce Hospital Prices for Orthopedic Surgery. Health Affairs 2013; 32(8):1392-97.
Robinson JC. Consumer Cost Sharing and Use of Biopharmaceuticals for Rheumatoid Arthritis. American Journal of Managed Care 2013; 19(6): e3205-3213.
Robinson JC. Case Studies of Orthopedic Surgery in California: The Virtues of Care Coordination Versus Specialization. Health Affairs 2013; 32(5):921-28.