James C. Robinson PhD, MPH
- Fellowship - Health policy, University of California, San Francisco
- PhD - Economics, University of California, Berkeley
- MPH - Health Planning and Policy, University of California, Berkeley
- BA - Economics and philosophy, University of California, Santa Cruz
- PH 200C: Public Health Core Breadth
- PH 222A: Health Care Technology Policy
- PH 227A: Health Care Finance
- PH 227B: Advanced Financial Management
- PH 298.25: Health Care Technology Strategy
- Biotechnology policy and strategy
- Innovation and affordability for medical technology
- Cardiac and orthopedic devices
- Health insurance
- Physician and hospital payment methods
- 2011—present. Principal Investigator. Research project on Hospital Economic Performance in Device-Intensive Service Lines. Funded by InHealth Foundation
- 2010—present. Economic Evaluation of Episode-of-Care Payment for Orthopedic Surgery. With Integrated Healthcare Association. Funded by Agency for Health Care Quality and Research
- 2008—present. Director, Berkeley Center for Health Technology. Responsible for overall strategy and direction, setting research agenda and directing major projects, hiring and supervision of staff, fundraising and sponsor relationships, working with staff to plan and deliver professional development and related educational programs
Robinson JC, Pozen A, Tseng S, Bozic KJ. Variability in Costs Associated with Total Hip and Knee Replacement Implants. Journal of Joint and Bone Surgery 2012; in press.
Robinson JC. Hospitals Respond to Medicare Payment Shortfalls by Both Shifting Costs and Cutting Them, Based on Market Concentration. Health Affairs 2011; 30(7):1265-1271.
Robinson JC. Hospital Market Concentration, Pricing, and Profitability in Orthopedic Surgery and Interventional Cardiology. American Journal of Managed Care 2011; 17(6):e241-e248.
Robinson, James, T Williams, and D Yanahihara. Measurement of and Reward for Efficiency in California's Pay For-Performance Program. Health Affairs 2009; 28(5):1438-47.
Robinson, James, SM Shortell, DR Rittenhouse, S Ferandes-Taylor, RR Gillies, and LP Casalino. Quality-Based Payment for Medical Groups and Individual Physicians. Inquiry 2009; 46(2):172-81.
Robinson, James and PB Ginsburg. Consumer-Driven Health Care: Promise and Performance. Health Affairs 2009; 28 (supplement 1):w272-w281.
Robinson James, LP Casalino, R Gillies, DR Rittenhouse, SM Shortell, and S Fernandes-Taylor. Financial Incentives, Quality Improvement Programs, and the Adoption of Clinical Information Technology. Medical Care 2009; 27(4):411-417.
Robinson, James. Value-based Purchasing of Medical Devices. Health Affairs 2008; 27 (6):1523-31.
Robinson JC. Insurers' Strategies for Managing the Use and Cost of Biopharmaceuticals. 2006 Health Affairs; 25(5):1205-17.
Robinson, James. Managed Consumerism in Health Insurance. Health Affairs 2005; 24(6):1478-89.
Robinson, James. Health Savings Accounts—The Ownership Society in Health Care. New England Journal of Medicine2005; 353(12):1199-1202.
Robinson, James. Consolidation and the Transformation of Competition in Health Insurance. Health Affairs 23(6): 11-24 (November/December 2004).
Profile updated: July 22, 2013