Stephen M. Shortell, Ph.D., M.P.H., M.B.A.
Dean, School of Public Health
Blue Cross of California Distinguished Professor of Health Policy & Management
Professor of Organization Behavior
PHONE: (510) 642-2082
FAX: (510) 643-5056
LOCATION: 417-E University Hall
WEBSITES: National Study of Physician Organizations, Stephen M. Shortell Research Projects
- Strategic Management of Health Services
- Organization Behavior in Health
Research Interests (view CV)
- Organizational Correlates of Quality and Outcomes of Care
- Evaluation of total quality management and community-based health improvement initiatives
- Strategic change in the health care sector-e.g. evolution of integrated delivery systems
- Strategic alliances between physicians and other health care entities
Sara Singer, PhD, MBA; Stephen M. Shortell, PhD, MPH, MBA. "Implementing Accountable Care Organizations - Ten Potential Mistakes and How to Learn From Them" JAMA. Published online August 9, 2011 doi: 10.1001/jama.2011.1180
*E.S. Fisher and S.M. Shortell. "Accountable Care Organizations: Accountable for What, to Whom, and How," JAMA, October 20, 2010, (304) 15: 1715-6.
S.M. Shortell, R.R. Gillies, and F. Wu. "United States Innovations in Health Care Delivery," Public Health Reviews, August, 2010.
S.M. Shortell, L.P. Casalino and E.S. Fisher. "How the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation Should Test Accountable Care Organizations," Health Affairs (Millwood), July 2010, 29(7): 1293-8.
D.R. Rittenhouse, S.M. Shortell, R.R. Gillies, L.P. Casalino, J.C. Robinson, R.K. McCurdy, and J. Siddique. "Improving Chronic Illness Care: Findings from a National Study of Care Management Processes in Large Physician Practices," Medical Care Research and Review, June 2010, 67(3):301-320.
- Service as Elected Member, Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences
- Member, Advisory Board, Kaiser-Permanente, Institute for Health Policy
Profile updated: October 5, 2011