- PH 150A: Introduction to Epidemiology
- PH 207A: Maternal and Child Nutrition
- PH 206C Nutritional Epidemiology
- PH 292: First Year Seminar for Epidemiology Biostatistics Program
- Weight and weight gain in women during pregnancy, postpartum and menopause
- Maternal weight, nutrition, social factors and perinatal health outcomes
- Could expressed and heat-treated breast milk prevent perinatal hiv transmission
I am currently leading a study of inter-relationships between early life adversity, pregnancy weight, racial disparities, and obesity in women and their children.
I am also involved in:
- Studies that investigate the contribution of maternal obesity, gestational weight gain and Black-White Disparities in stillbirth, infant mortality and other adverse bith outcomes. (with Lisa Bodnar PhD, University of Pittsburgh)
- Trials to prevent postpartum weight retention in low-income WIC women and to prevent excessive gestational weight gain in obese women. (with Suzanne Phelan PhD, PI, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo)
Margerison-Zilko* CE, Shrimali BF, Eskenazi B, Lahiff M, Lindquist AR, Abrams BF. Trimester of maternal gestational weight gain and offspring body weight at birth and age five. Matern Child Health J. 2011 Jul 7. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:21735140
Bodnar LM*, Hutcheon JA, Platt RW, Himes KP, Simhan HN, Abrams B. Should Gestational Weight Gain Recommendations be Tailored by Maternal Characteristics? Am J Epidemiol. 2011 Jun 1. [Epub ahead of print]
Rasmussen KM, Abrams B. Gestational weight gain and later maternal health: are they related? Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Jun;93(6):1186-7. Epub 2011 May 4.
Phelan S, Phibbs M, Abrams B, Darrouch F, Shaffner A, Wing RR. Randomized trial of a behavioral intervention to prevent gestational weight gain: the Fit for Delivery Study. Am J Clin Nur. 2011 Feb 10 [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21310836
Phelan S, Phipps M, Abrams B, Darroch, F Schaffner A, Wing, R. Practitioner advice and ideal and expected gestational weight gain in normal and overweight women. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2011 Apr; 20(4):585-91. Epub 2011 Mar 17.
Chantry CJ, Wiedeman J, Buehring G, Peerson JM, Hayfron K, K'aluoch O, Lonnerdal B, Israel-Ballard K*, Coutsoudis A, Abrams B. Effect of Flash-Heat treatment on antimicrobial activity of breastmilk. Breastfeeding Med 2010 Nov 23 epub ahead of print
Rasmussen KM, Abrams B, Bodnar LM, Butte NF, Catalano PM, Siega-Riz AM. Making recommendations for weight gain during pregnancy in the context of the obesity epidemic. Obstet Gynecol 2010 Nov;116(5):1191-5
Kosa JL, Guendelman S, Pearl M, Graham S, Abrams B, Kharrazi M. The Association Between Pre-pregnancy BMI and Preterm Delivery in a Diverse Southern California Population of Working Women. Matern Child Health J 2010.
Bodnar LM Siega-Riz AM, Simhan HN, Diesel JC, Abrams B. The Impact of Exposure Misclassification on Associations Between Prepregnancy BMI and Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2010 11:2184-90
Chantry CJ, Israel-Ballard K, Moldoveanu Z, Peerson J, Coutsoudis A, Sibeko L, Abrams B. Effect of flash-heat treatment on immunoglobulins in breast milk. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2009;51:264-7
Israel-Ballard K*, Abrams BF, Coutsoudis A, Sibeko LN, Cheryk LA, Chantry CJ. Vitamin content of breast milk from HIV-1-infected mothers before and after flash-heat treatment. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2008;48:444-9.
Chen BH, Carmichael SL, Selvin S, Abrams B, Shaw GM. NTD prevalences in central California before and after folic acid fortification. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 2008;82:547-52.
Carmichael SL, Shaw GM, Song J, Abrams B. Markers of acculturation and risk of NTDs among Hispanic women in California. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 2008;82:755-62.