Be inspired by brilliant faculty and exceptional peers to improve health and health care.
Health care is a vibrant, fast-paced field that’s continually evolving. As a graduate student at Berkeley, you’ll gain the knowledge, skills, and partners you need to become a high-impact contributor at a health care employer of your choice. HPM at Berkeley offers experiences in and out of the classroom that challenge convention and help you grow as a health care leader.
What you'll learn
We offer a range of master’s programs that allow you to align your graduate studies in health policy and management with how you want to contribute to the professional field. During your time at Berkeley, you will:
- Complete core courses in health policy, economics, finance, management, and strategy.
- Experience health policy and management in action through both a field placement, and developing and executing a capstone project—typically a strategic initiative/business plan or a policy analysis/evaluation, often in partnership with a client organization.
- Gain knowledge that will help you to advance the organization, financing, and delivery of health care.
- Engage with employers and industry experts to see health policy and management in action.
- Take electives within HPM, across the other core areas of public health, and/or choose to follow your passion by exploring offerings from our partner schools and programs across the Berkeley campus: Haas School of Business, Goldman School of Public Policy, School of Information, Berkeley Law, and many others.
- You can also consider adding a School of Public Health interdisciplinary specialty area, such as aging, global health, maternal and child health, multicultural health, or public health nutrition.
Our graduates are valued by domestic and global employers for their leadership skills, self-reliance, and their commitment to improving health and health care. As a Berkeley HPM grad, you can:
- Become a key player in a major health care organization, locally or globally
- Join a health care-focused management consulting firm or an internal consulting group at a large integrated medical delivery system and solve strategic and operational challenges
- Advise a major biotech or medical device manufacturer on strategic planning or market access
- Blend technology and management knowledge to create innovative mobile health care solutions
- Get involved in performance improvement initiatives
Here are some of the companies that recruit HPM students for career and internship opportunities:
Our advantages: High-touch advising, well-connected faculty, and case-based learning
- You'll have a unique student experience because of our high-touch advising model, our mature and diverse student base, our open educational model, and our interdisciplinary approach to health and health care on campus. We support you as you explore all of what the Berkeley campus offers in health care and related topics.
- You'll learn from a preeminent faculty team dedicated to giving you access to both research-focused experts and professional faculty who offer exposure to applied HPM concepts. Together they team to provide you with critical knowledge in the key disciplines, advise you about how to engage for success with different stakeholders, and offer you their connections to alumni, academic, and professional communities.
- You'll benefit from our innovative approach to professional development—such as the strong presence in the HPM curriculum for case-based and service-based learning experiences, networking opportunities, and career management services—all to ensure you stay connected to UC Berkeley, to each other, and to the outside world.
Health Policy & Management Division Head
Student Services Advisor
Program Director, MPH, MBA/MPH, and MPP/MPH
Online Degrees and Certificates
For a comprehensive look at HPM at Berkeley, please read our Applicant Handbook
See the School of Public Health Events Calendar